Blackburn Town Hall, an impressive and central feature of Blackburn was originally designed by architect James Paterson in the Italian Renaissance style and building works were completed in 1856. The building originally housed a police station with 18 cells, a large assembly room and a council chamber. It is still in use today but with many council functions carried out in an adjacent 1960’s tower.
Aura were appointed as Principal Contractor to carry out the sensitive external restoration to the buildings’ façade which commenced in early 2016.
The building has been extensively cleaned using the Therma-Tech super-heated system to remove the build-up of various vegetation and pollutants. The building was then subject to secondary cleaning using the JOS system to remove the tougher carbon deposits. Once clean, the existing open and defective mortar joints on the building’s façade have been raked out and repointed using a lime based mortar. Areas of loose and friable sandstone, caused by years of saturation and weathering were brushed back with phosphor-bronze brushes to a sound base and restored using lime mortar or where necessary stone indents were let in using Crosland Hill Sandstone – all works were carried out to match the original line and profile.
High level large stone urns had become loose due to the corrosion of ferrous fixings, they had to be lifted temporarily while the fixings were replaced with stainless steel prior to being repositioned. Complete overhaul of the sash windows has been completed including redecoration work and installation of a bird deterrent system on completion.
Acting as Principal Contractor Aura planned, managed, programmed and monitored each aspect of the project ensuring that all health and safety risks were stringently controlled.
Consultation and engagement of all contractors on site was of paramount importance to the successful completion of the project.
The project received a great deal of public attention and was shortlisted for the North-West RICS awards 2017.