Grade II Listed
A fine example of the Burton Art Deco House Style this Grade II Listed Building dates from 1938 and was purpose built by Montague Maurice Burton, founder of the Burton Tailors stores in 1912. In 1932 the company established its own architectural department with a view to maintaining a style template for all stores from this date. New stores were designed and built in the Art Deco style usually on prominent corner plots in town centers by the in-house architectural team. This store is assumed to have been designed by Chief Architect at that time; Nathanial Martin.
The white faience façades incorporates a long elevation to Terrace Road with an angled corner and short elevation to North Parade. This is unified by the use of the glazed terracotta panels and black granite stall risers to the ground level producing their characteristic Art Deco house style.
Over the years the building has been leased as a great variety of shops with the upper levels boarded up and used for storage with very little attention given to the condition of the façade.
Aura were appointed to clean and restore the external elevations. Typical of a building of this age and coastal location, the building displayed evidence of water penetration causing corrosion of ferrous fixings resulting in fracturing of blocks. Works entailed replacement of the defective blocks and removal and treatment of the corroded steelwork together with cleaning and repointing of the faience. Prior to scaffolding erection, a survey was undertaken to identify the number of faience blocks requiring replacement. Faience production typically can take 16-20 weeks, however Aura carried out the surveys from mobile platforms alleviating the need for standing scaffolding during the production period which was a huge advantage to the project programme.
The blocks identified for replacement were carefully cut out and the pocket prepared for the replacement units. Exposed steelwork was also cut out and replaced with stainless steel or treated by abrasive blasting and the application of a 2 pack epoxy paint system. All joints of the faience were carefully raked out and repointed in a lime mortar.
In addition, the external façade was sympathetically cleaned with a dilute chemical process.
Finally, associated works were carried out to lead flashings and minor areas of roof repairs.