Grade II* Listed
Following water damage to the original ornate lime plaster ceiling and cornice to one of the tower rooms, Aura Conservation were appointed to carry out the internal repairs to this Grade II* Listed castle in the heart of the Cheshire countryside.
The site has been home to the Cholmondeley family since the 12th century. The castle, as it stands today, was built at the start of the 19th century for the George Cholmondeley, the first Marquess, who also designed the building, in collaboration with the architect, William Turner. The first phase of building was completed in 1805 and re-used material salvaged from the original house. In 1817 the Marquess started a series of extensions to the castle, which were carried on after his death in 1828 by Robert Smirke. The main additions were the octagonal turrets and a round tower. It is to this tower that Aura completed repairs to the original lime plaster ceilings to two rooms.
Following extensive damage following a water leak, Aura Conservation were appointed to repair the original lime plaster ceilings to two rooms within the round tower.
Defective plaster work and coving were removed, with replacement of lath and plasterwork to affected areas.
The whole of the ceiling areas were stabilised by drilling and inserting stainless steel washers to prevent further damage.
There were missing sections of decorative cornice. Moulds were made of the intact sections and used to form replacement cornicing to match the original.
All areas of work have been sanded down, ready for decoration by others.