Grade II Listed
The original church that occupied this site was built in 1836, the building of the church as it is seen today was designed by Richard Knill Freeman in the decorated Gothic style and works were completed in November 1895. It gained its Grade II Listing due to the two large windows in the south transept which depict various scenes including the various men involved with church building of the time.
Aura were contracted to carry out work involving the complete replacement of stonework and glazing to five tracery windows, lime mortar re-pointing, replacement of the parapet gutter and replacement of cast iron rainwater pipes and heads. The replacement of the red sandstone to the tracery windows was essential due to the almost complete erosion of some of the original stone.
Detailed surveys were carried out in order to produce accurate drawings for the production of new windows in the red St Bees sandstone. The new stone was painstakingly fixed and dressed prior to the complete re-glazing of the tracery windows.
Aura was proud to receive a commendation award at the Natural Stone Awards in November 2008 for the quality of our work in relation to this project.