Grade II* Listed
Aura were appointed as Principal Contractor to plan and manage the full restoration project of the neoclassical style St Johns Church in Knutsford. The church is recorded as a designated Grade II* Listed Building and it is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester. The church was built between 1741 and 1744 at a cost of £4,000 by the architect J. Garlive.
The church built in brick with stone dressings and a slate roof required full external restoration. As Principle Contractor, Aura initially fully established the site and protection was installed prior to works commencing. The lichen on affected areas of the external walls of the church was thoroughly cleaned, specifically in areas adjacent to the noted rainwater pipes using the ‘Doff’ high pressure steam system. Then stonework and brick were also cleaned to large areas of heavily soiled walling using the ‘Torc’ system. New dressed sandstone was installed to all heavily decayed existing stone sections including detail such as balusters, arched heads, cornice, string course and pediments. Brickwork was sympathetically restored to the church building itself which included the removal and replacement of whole bricks to match the existing profile exactly. Raking out and re-pointing was carried out to local areas of open defective joints with a lime based mortar and any damaged leadwork repaired.
Stone and brickwork repairs to the surrounding walling included building up to ground level with sand-lime brickwork in 1:1:6 mortar and then introducing a base course of matching stone.
Removal works included the lifting of existing concrete paved steps and ramped access to the north & south, cutting out and excavating and then forming of concrete footings. Landscaping works included the provision and laying of finished Yorkstone pavings to the surrounding area along with the construction of access steps and finally new galvanised curved top railings were installed to the west entrance.