Grade II Listed
The Gothic style, Grade II Listed archway, which forms the grand entrance into the church yard, was built in 1859 for Archdeacon Stonehouse of Owston Ferry, North Lincolnshire and his sister-in-law Frances Sanders who were both notable local benefactors. The limestone ashlar features a crenellated, stepped tripartite gateway with central carriage arch, flanked by lower pedestrian arches and short lower wing walls. The east and west sides both have a chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets flanking pointed chamfered arches with hood moulds and head stops. To the east side are worn dedication inscriptions in Gothic lettering and a pair of armorial relief tablets depicting the arms of the benefactors Stonehouse and Sanders. The pedestrian entrances have ornate Gothic-style cast-iron gates with dog-bars, decorative panels and finials.
The archway was severely damaged in November 2012 after a lorry collision and was left in a dangerous and unstable condition, just days before a funding application was submitted to Lincolnshire Council for the restoration works.
Aura Conservation carried out a survey to assess the emergency works required to stabilise the unsafe structure and compiled a full scope of works to address the restoration and repair involved.
Much of the archway was rebuilt using new stone with all of the crenellations, buttresses and arch detailing being replaced with new. The arch has a random rubble infill which was retained and the whole structure was re-pointed and cleaned where necessary.