Grade II Listed
The current church building was constructed in 1879 although the base of the tower dates back to the sixteenth century. It is a grade II * Listed Building, of worldwide historical interest and importance due to the Bronte family connection.
The Church occupies an exposed hillside position at the top of the village just off Main Street, via a cobbled path. The surrounding buildings are villager’s homes and businesses with only cobbled pathways and one narrow road offering limited access to the church.
The church was awarded a repair grant under the English Heritage/HLF Repair Grant Scheme for Historic Places of Worship.
During the spring of 2012 Aura began work to repair the south facing roof in hand selected Green Honister slate using traditional building techniques. The slates were quarried then individually holed, sorted and re-palletised in manageable sized packs before returning to site for installation. The copings were then bedded using lime mortar. Lime rendering was carried out to small areas of internal and external stonework. The South elevation also required replacement cast iron rainwater goods to match the existing, with excavation and installation of a drainage system to a depth of 1.4m in order to tackle the issues surrounding damp. The site was replanted and paths re-laid towards the completion of the project.
The reinstatement of the missing stone pinnacles at the top of the tower involved the fixing of hand carved/tooled pinnacles in Yorkshire Sandstone to match the existing. The pinnacles were dowelled and cramped with selected stainless steel fixings.